Thursday, April 21, 2011

Bucket-O-Fries real or make believe?!


Does anyone remember McDonald's Bucket-O-Fries? 

The story of the Bucket-O-Fries is like the myth of Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster or John Travolta's career. Only a few people I know remember them and very few remember even eating them. I for one remember them and remember eating them...a lot back in the day. Now when people remember them no one seems to get the time line correct as to when these awesome death sticks came out. I want to say this was early 2000 if not late 90's. But I hear everyone say different times and location of the mysterious Bucket-O-Fries.

Some people say they came in a big bag and not a bucket. Some say a large bucket like a child would play with at the beach. Others say that it came with a strange cheese sauce, that was not very good. I remember that they came in a bucket and I sure as hell don't remember cheese sauce. I've done some research on this subject. When I say research I mean I looked it up on Google for like 10 seconds.

Here is what I found...not a damn thing. I got people from every which way saying everything from they never existed to they had them the other day. One funny thing is I found no real pictures of them anywhere. It's like Ronald himself erased them from the world. I mean you can find any picture you want online... anything. You name it you get a picture. For some strange reason you don't get a real picture of the Bucket-o-Fries. Maybe I'm putting myself at risk by just talking about these Bigfoot of the food world. 

After talking to a few friends and it turns out that they all have the same answers that I found. No one knows a damn thing. Two people I know for sure remembers these evil fries. One is my friend Dennis and I know for sure that we have eaten them together on many outings back in the day. The other is my wife who also had long nights of drinking and eating these wonderful man made treats. Dennis and I would drink and the Bucket-O-Fries was the food of choice at the end of the night. This is us after those long nights!


So to wrap up my expose on the mystery of the Bucket-O-Fries, which I feel like something bad will happen now that I brought this to light. I come to the conclusion that we still don't know anything about the fries. Everyone has their own memory and story of the Bucket-O-Fries. I for one remember them and know that they were real. Maybe no one remembers them because everyone drank when they ate them; I feel that might be the reason for the memory block.

Next time I'll break down the mystery of why this isn't real yet?...or is it!?
Till next time...


26 comments:

  1. I vagely remember them. It was enough for a small family or a large tribe of starving somali's. When, I am gonna say late 90's high school years. But then again I was never allowed to eat McDonalds...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember them. They sold them in Cape Coral, Florida sometime between 1999-2001.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Pt. Charlotte!

      I made a regular point of ordering them.

      Delete
    2. YES! At the mcdonald's in front of walmart on Del Prado! That's where we used to get them anyway.

      Delete
  3. I had gotten the Bucket-o-Fries on several occasions in California. Though i am not sure exactly when, i do feel like it was late 90s. I can also chime in on the triple big mac thing. They do have several versions around the world though they would never sell it in the US. In 2011, i was in Taiwan and came across what the call the Mega Mac. It is a triple big mac and very delicious, but to be honest, not that much bigger.

    I wish they had that food nowadays cuz i could really go for a bucket-o-fries

    ReplyDelete
  4. it was not that much. it was like a bit over the super sized fries and they stopped having them when they stopped letting you super size stuff, probably about 6 or 7 years ago. i live in salem oregon and i bought them all the time. it was in the $3 range and it was basically like if you wanted a meal but only fries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice bro! I’m originally from Salem, and I remember ordering these all the time during the late 90’s prior to leaving for the military in 1999. For some reason, I have no memory of them continuing service through the early 2000’s though. I thought perhaps it was just a regional item/test market device. I recall them being priced at $2.00 in 1997 when they first appeared.

      Delete
  5. I remember them aswell as in the late 90's. I somewhat remember them being served in a large or so drink cup. I don't remember anything about cheese sauce or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep I remember them also. I purchased them at my local McDonald's in Oregon in the late 90's early 2000's. I remember the container being a red paper bucket with the Arches printed on the side in yellow. It had a curled white edge like a smaller popcorn bucket. I can't seem to find any photos either. God such an extraordinary amount of oh-so-delicious cholesterol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re memory is spot on with mine! It was like a large paper cup, but a small popcorn bucket is a good anology. Red covering the entire cup with exception of the famous Golden Arches logo printed on opposing sides. I remember it being sold for $2 when it first appeared, if I’m not mistaken.

      Delete
    2. I worked for McDonald’s around the Dallas Texas area in 1997/1998 and can tell you with 100% certainty that we sold them. I went looking for a picture when I saw they started the basket wondering why they wouldn’t just bring back the bucket. This was back when we had the xl drinks also, 44oz, and I want to say it was the same cup for both but not 100% certain on that one. I do remember the $2.00 to whoever said that, I believe is correct.

      Delete
  7. I definitely had them once or twice. They did not stay on the menu too long. I'm pretty sure I was still getting driven around by my mom, which would make it late 90s.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes they did have them in San Diego, Ca... I specifically remember them at the Bonita location. However, to say "bucket" is kind of an understatement. They were served in the Xtra Large, supersize drink cup and cost $1.89, and only on Tuesdays. They also had $0.25 hamburgers and $0.35 cheeseburgers that day only, I believe...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought them in San Diego too. I used to stop at the McDonald's in Horton Plaza in Downtown S.D. They came in a large drink cup type of container. I would buy one and then walk around Downtown eating them. I miss them since the only thing I buy at McDonald's is the fries. Now I just buy 2 orders of their large fries and I always ask for them to be freshly made.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember them I could only get them in one place that was Post Tx a very small town anytime I talk about them people don't believe me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember them! I can't find shit about them either this is bullshit yo damn smh

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had to google this as I have fond memories of the bucket o' fries :) I was living in Covina, CA, it was 2001 or 2002 (after my 2000 break up with boyfriend, and before my move to AZ). I had quit smoking, joined a gym, and was learning how to not eat emotionally, lol! I didn't keep any crappy food in the house, so when I went for a treat, which was rare, it had to be awesome! I found out about the fries and as I love McD's fries a bucket could only be better! I only did this a few times (lost 20 pounds :) and the best I ever did was half of the bucket if that, but so worth the calories! It was basically lunch and dinner rolled into one big fat potato! Thanks for the memories! Don't know about the cheese stuff, I like mine bare :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. We used to get 2-3 of them for 4 kids and 2 adults.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We used to get 2-3 of them for 4 kids and 2 adults.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I worked at the mcdonalds on CY Avenue in Casper,Wyoming from October 1998 to February 1999, when I was 16. We had the Bucket O'Fries on our menu. Ours weren't really in an actual bucket, but in a special cup that was the size of the super size coke. It was likely one of those items that was related in certain markets as a test.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I definitely remember having them as a child in the mid-90s. I often wonder what happened to them because no one ever talks about it. Like you, I wonder if they were just a figment of my imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember them from Long Beach, WA during the 90's. They were on the menu as "Bucket o' Fries" and it was sold in the gigantic red bucket. Can't find any pictures online of it though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I remember them in San Diego around 2003 still. At that point they sold them in just a bag. They filled my bag with fries! It was amazing! I would always go get a bucket of fries and a large drink.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I 100% remember them as I was a big fan of getting just that as my meal as a kid. It came in a red with a gold m on it an in almost super sized round paper cup. I remember when I finished the fries I tried putting soda in the bucket to get a two for one deal and the dose leaked through the French fry cup and the soda was a bit salty. It was called “McDonalds Bucket Sized Fries” and I truly miss it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Living in New Mexico, I was at my friends house and his pregnant girlfriend asked us to get her a bucket-o-fries from McDonald's. As I drove us there I commented on her wanting a super sized, he said no she wanted a bucket. I ordered it at the drive thru. It wasn't on the menu. But it was a red paper bucket basically a slightly smaller version to the KFC bucket of chicken. Roughly 7 inches in diameter and 7 in height.

    ReplyDelete