Friday, April 22, 2011

Why did this get canceled?! Episode 1


Herman's Head (1991-1994)

Created by Andy Guerdat and Steve Kreinberg

To celebrate the one month anniversary here at Video Junkie, I thought I would change things up and do a new format. That's right I am going to do a show that should still be on TV. So first up is Herman's Head, from the early '90's that aired on FOX.

In '91 FOX only had a few shows that were any good and even those were suspect. They had Married with Children and The Simpsons and maybe you can include '21 Jump Street. I always loved Parker Lewis Can't Lose, but what do I know. This little jem of a show came out and was totally original, that's why it was canceled. 

Herman's Head is about...well a guy named Herman and the stuff that goes on in his head. This was the official plot of the show:  Research assistant Herman Brooks works in the fact-checking department of a major magazine publisher. In his personal life and interactions with his boss Paul Bracken and co-workers Louise, Heddy and Jay, his decisions and actions are dramatized with a "Greek chorus" style dramatization of his thought processes.

The show stared, the amazing and under used to this day, William Ragsdale as Herman. Hank Azaria as his smooth talking friend Jay, this is one of Azaria's best roles. Jane Sibbett, you might know her as Ross's ex-wife from friends, plays Heddy the love interest of Herman. The second Simpson cast off in the show is Yeardley Smith who plays Louise, the sweet office nerd. To round out this Taxi like cast was the great Jason Bernard who played their boss Paul. Good old Bernard is no longer with us he passed away in '96, his last roll was as a judge in Liar Liar. I really recommend checking him out in anything he has done.


Inside Herman's Head are four characters that help him through his daily life. They are played by: Ken Hudson Campbell, Molly Hagan, Rick Lawless, and Peter Mackenzie. These for actors really played off each other well. Campbell really stood out for me from this show. When ever I see him in anything all I can think of is Herman's Head. These four actors did all their scenes in an attic of memories in Herman's Head, hence the name of the show.


This show got no love when it aired. The only thing this show is known for is for being the first broadcast show to air a condom commercial. That's fantastic! They really need to release this one on DVD. I mean there are only 3 seasons! I for one would buy this in a heart beat. With out this show there wouldn't be...hold on I'll think of something...damn...ok maybe Newsradio. I just wanted to mention that show because it was awesome. Don't you just love Bill.

Where was I? I use to really like this show, granted I  was a kid and what the hell do kids know. There should be a rerun channel that shows strange shows like this. You know the ones that were on for a few years but got no respect.

Check out my next Why did this get canceled?! when I will be talking about Just the 10 of Us! Till then...

1 comment: