Thursday, June 16, 2011

Hey, Eraser Head

House Party (1990)

Directed by Reginald Hudlin

Today I bring you a movie that is right up there in my top ten all time funniest movies. It is the 1990 classic House Party. I have to say that this movie brings up great memories from my child hood. I owned a copy on VHS - See kids a VHS is what we use to watch movies on back in the '80's and '90's. They were like giant tapes - Damn, see kids tapes were something we could record music on and make mix tapes for the ones we loved. Where the hell was I? 

House Party was watched at my friends house every weekend it seemed. We would eat bad food and drink and watch this amazing American classic. We still quote the movie today and I am pushing my mid thirties.

The flick was directed by Reginald Hudlin who went on to make Boomerang and The Great White Hype. Both of which are fine films in their own right. He also wrote it and it was the subject for his thesis for film at Harverd University.

It stared Kid-N-Play or Christopher Reid and Christopher Martin. Playing their best friend is Martin Lawerance, very young mind you, as Bilal the house party DJ. It also had a very young Tisha Campbell and the members of Full Force. But the real stand out is Robin Harris as Pops. He steals the show in one of his few starring roles as Kid's dad. We miss you Robin Harris.

The movie is a simple plot, Kid gets into trouble and has to sneak out to Plays house party. It follows the adventures of Kid as he tries to get to the party. The film also follows the quest of Pops who is trying to catch his son that defied him. This movie is very layered as it has Play trying to keep his cool as the kids destroy his house and Bilal has a problem with a party guest that bumps his DJ table. What will happen as the funny happens all over the place.

Like I said this movie is very special to me as it is to my friends that watched it many weekend nights ago. 

House Party spawned many sequels and even a little movie career for Kid-N-Play with a cartoon show added in for good measure. I only recommend House Party 2 for future viewing.

Please give this '90's classic a chance and check out House Party on VHS, by the way I went through at least two copies of this film on VHS. A true forgotten classic and an American classic. 

Till next time...

10/10

Video Junkie Extra:
This movie was written for Will Smith and DJ Jazzy Jeff back in the day. But for some reason they didn't get to make it. Kid-N-Play were a last minute substitute. Thank God that they were not in this movie it would have ruined my teenage years.

No comments:

Post a Comment